- Workshop safety awareness
- Guidebar, saw chain and power unit maintenance
- Health and safety features
- Lubrication and fuelling
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Starting and precutting checks
- Site safety awareness
- Cross cutting trunks of felled trees and stacking timber
- Assessment to LANTRA Standards
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, SAWS AND ACCESSORIES REQUIRED FOR GROUND BASED CHAINSAW TRAINING COURSES:
The following items of equipment and clothing are required when attending chainsaw courses.
- Chainsaw in good working condition with guide bar no longer than 380mm and to relevant safety criteria - see HSE chainsaws at work INDG 317 NB. Top-handled saws are not acceptable on ground based courses.
- Supply of chain lubricating oil.
- 2-stroke mixture fuel (unleaded).
- Clean filter funnel
- Full tool kit for chainsaw maintenance including appropriate file for the chain size being used
- Combination spanner
- Felling lever, large or small with cant hook
- Small plastic wedges
- Hand cleaning materials
- Any chainsaw boots or wellingtons which are Class 1-3 are acceptable for chainsaw courses. NB. Chainsaw wellingtons however are not suitable for aerial tree work.
- Safety helmet complete with ear defenders and visor (in date)
- Chainsaw safety gloves - class 0
- Chainsaw protective trousers with special safety fabric (type c or b) - type c is recommended for beginners because it offers 360 degree all round leg protection
- Jackets and overalls to be made of non-snagging fabric with no cuffs, belts, flaps etc.
- Chainsaw safety jacket (optional) NB. Spats are not acceptable
- Waterproof, clothing and spare clothing for the end of the day
- First aid kit with large wound dressing
- Gloves for carrying out maintenance
Course - notes
The units for Maintenance and Felling may be taken as two separate courses of usually two days each which includes continuous assessment. Alternatively, both units may be combined and taken as four consecutive days of training which also includes continuous assessment.
Top-handled saws are not acceptable on ground based courses.
Trainees will be required to bring their own chainsaw, tools, fuel, protective clothing and boots.